“Happy Teacher Appreciation Week”
Kindly read this letter in its entirety since it contains important updates as well as helpful reminders.
Dear TAOTS Families, Happy Friday and Happy 1st Day of May. As the weeks go by I remain optimistic and hopeful about brighter days when we will be reunited again in our school building, with our students, families, teachers and staff.
It’s hard to believe that we are moving into week 7 of remote learning and a very special week. May 4th begins Teacher Appreciation Week and we would like to take this opportunity to celebrate and recognize all the teachers at TAOTS for their endless dedication and commitment to our students and families during these unprecedented times. Within the past six weeks our teachers have created instructional opportunities for our students to succeed while being in remote learning. This by far has not been an easy task and I am so proud of their accomplishments and their continued collaborative efforts as they continue to work daily to meet the educational, social, and emotional needs of our students. I cannot thank them enough!
I hope that you and your children had the opportunity to watch the TAOTS Video created by our Staff at TAOTS with the help of Mr. Rhys!
This week the Chancellor released an update on the Grading Policy. The Remote Learning Grading Policy will be in effect for the remainder of the 2019-20 school year only. I want to assure you that at this point in the year, teachers have a great deal of information about student progress to inform student grades. According to Chancellor Carranza, students are expected to participate in remote learning daily and teachers will continue to grade all submitted student work and keep their gradebooks up to date, in alignment with expectations set by our school. Our teachers will continue to document students’ areas for improvement in their gradebooks, report cards, and/or other platforms for recording student progress, so that this information is accessible in planning for summer and fall. All Grading Policy information is available on the DOE website which can be translated in all languages https://infohub.nyced.org/in-our-schools/translations/letters/coronavirus.
Chancellor Carranza has also reiterated that school is in session even though it may look and feel differently because of our current unique situation. Please keep in mind that during remote learning, teaching and learning is still occuring. We expect students to participate and interact daily with the teaching and learning that is taking place in our Google Classrooms. Please read with your child the student and family expectations for remote learning.
Remote Learning Student & Family Expectations:
- Instruction begins daily at 8:50 am by logging into Google Classrooms for all students
- Students follow their regular school day schedule with shorter periods
- Student Attendance will be taken daily using the Daily Digital Feelings Check-In Form
- Specialty Classes are part of your child’s weekly schedule and mandate
- Students are expected to follow teacher directions and display appropriate behavior
- Your child is required to participate in the instruction that the teacher is providing for each subject area and specialty class
- Communicate, communicate, communicate and keep in touch with your child’s teachers including specialty teacher teams about any questions/issues you may have
Updates & Reminders from Ms. Appelbaum and Mr. Defeo firstname.lastname@example.org
- We have posted April’s Scholars and Citizens of the Month on the TAOTS website.
Congratulations to all of this month’s recipients. Keep up the great work!
- Every week on Friday and Sunday you will receive a Robo Call from your Parent Coordinator, Ms. Appelbaum which contains important updates and reminders. If you are not receiving these calls, please notify us through email : email@example.com
- Google Classroom Tutorial for Students in All Languages : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLON_Ndz-asFTvNS3ODimsVtFom_nywSJR&app=desktop
- If you requested an iPad from the DOE through the iPad Distribution Request Form before April 23, 2020, our records show that you have received your device. Any iPad requests that were submitted to the DOE after April 23, 2020, are currently being processed. If you are still in need of a device, please complete this form or call 718-935-5100 & choose option “5” : https://www.schools.nyc.gov/learn-at-home/ipad-distribution
- Continue to report your child’s absences by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Check the TAOTS website www.taots.org regularly for updates and all TAOTS information in All Languages !
- 1st Day School Supplies Online Store has opened up. Kindly visit www.1stDaySchoolSupplies.com. The deadline to purchase supplies is July 1, 2020. This link is also available on our website www.taots.org. Please reach out to email@example.com for assistance.
- Utilize TAOTS Family Support Google Phone Number Contact List from Monday – Friday 10am – 2pm (emailed and found on TAOTS website).
- Recess at Home with Playworks. You can log on from Monday to Friday at; 12PM, 2PM and 4PM to join in a Live Virtual Recess. Students will get to play and learn games in a virtual environment with a Live Playworks Coach. Click on the link for more information. Live Virtual Recess.
|Time||Week 7 Daily Remote Learning Student Schedule|
|8:50- 9:00||Students log on to Google Classroom for classroom instructions|
Wednesdayis Tribes Dayduring period 4&5
|Remote Learning Daily Instruction Students will participate in lessons and activities prepared by the teachers following their regular daily schedule:During prep periods, students will be directed to join the specialty class of the day. Period 1: 9:00-9:25Period 2: 9:25-9:50Period 3: 9:50-10:15Period 4: 10:15-10:40 (All students in K-2 Break Time) Wed. Tribes DayPeriod 5: 10:40-11:05 (All students 3-5 Break Time) Wed. Tribes DayPeriod 6: 11:05- 11:30Period 7: 11:30-11:55Period 8: 11:55- 12:20|
|Student Lunch Time |
Student: Daily Independent Work Time. Students will complete the following: 1. Independent Reading & task of the day2. Writing- task of the day3. Math- task of the day4. Specialty- 1 specialty task per day as per the daily flow of the day
Parent/Student Communication Time for parents & teachers to communicate