Kindly read this letter in its entirety since it contains important updates as well as helpful reminders.
“I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
Dear TAOTS Families, Friday, May 15, 2020
As we get ready to welcome Week 9 of Remote Learning, we want to remind our families that we begin the 2nd week of Parent-Teacher Conferences. By now classroom and specialty teachers have reached out to you and have set up appointments. If you have not reached out to your child’s teachers, kindly do so at your earliest convenience to set up an appointment for Parent-Teacher Conferences. Translations will be provided at your request.
Since 1949, the month of May has been observed as “Mental Health Awareness Month” in the United States. Research has shown that mental health is just as important as your physical health. As educators of students in elementary school, we know that the social and emotional well being of our students is one of the most important aspects of having a successful school experience. During this pandemic, we know that it has not been easy for our students. Eight weeks ago children’s lives were changed drastically, everything and anything ranging from school life, daily rituals & routines such as sports, after-school clubs, playdates, walking around the neighborhood, playing in the park, visiting family & friends, trips, etc. has just stopped for them, and some even having to deal with family illnesses. This has left children feeling confused, scared, and unsure about what’s going on in their world. We recognize that these are challenging times facing our children. Now more than ever we continue to stay committed to our students by being available and present in their lives.
Over the past eleven years as the principal of TAOTS I have been committed to creating a school that is focused on providing a nurturing learning environment for children. As we live in Remote Learning I am dedicated to your children and will continue to find ways to foster and build a strong learning community. We will continue to communicate with families and work together as a team of educators to tweak our teaching practices to meet the social, emotional, and academic needs of our students.
Updates & Reminders from Ms. Appelbaum and Mr. Defeo firstname.lastname@example.org
- Are you having trouble coping due to COVID-19? Trained counselors can provide you with support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, in over 200 languages.
- Crisis Counseling
- Peer support
- Short-term counseling
- Connection to ongoing mental health and substance misuse services
TEXT: “Well” to 65173
VISIT ON THE WEB: nyc.gov/nycwell
- This week’s TRIBES CLASSROOM Activity will be to wear something ORANGE or BLUE on Wednesday, May 20th to show our unity and inclusion of all of our students and friends.
- General PTO Meeting will be hosted on Wednesday, May 27, 2020 at 6 pm. Please stay tuned for information from the PTO of TAOTS on how to join the PTO meeting.
- Google Classroom Tutorial for Students in All Languages: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLON_Ndz-asFTvNS3ODimsVtFom_nywSJR&app=desktop
- For more resources and information regarding family support such as: Health Care Providers for COVID – 19 Testing – Anyone who does not have a health care provider can call 844-NYC-4NYC (844-692-4692) or 311 to discuss COVID-19 symptoms and receive medical advice and assistance, For and updated list of community testing sites and more info: http://www.nyc.gov/covidtestingsites
- Visit the Department of Education’s free meal location finder website or call 311. You can also text FOOD to 877-877.
- Continue to report your child’s absences by emailing email@example.com.
- Check the TAOTS website www.taots.org regularly for updates and all TAOTS information in All Languages!
- 1st Day School Supplies Online Store has opened up. Kindly visit www.1stDaySchoolSupplies.com. The deadline to purchase supplies is July 1, 2020. This link is also available on our website www.taots.org. Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- Recess at Home with Playworks. You can log on from Monday to Friday at; 12 PM, 2 PM, and 4 PM to join in a Live Virtual Recess. Students will get to play and learn games in a virtual environment with a Live Playworks Coach. Click on the link for more information. Live Virtual Recess.
Remote Learning Student & Family Expectations:
We expect students to participate and interact daily with the teaching and learning that is taking place in our Google Classrooms. Please review with your child the student and family expectations for remote learning.
- Instruction begins daily at 8:50 am by logging into Google Classrooms for all students
- Students follow their regular school day schedule with shorter periods
- Student Attendance will be taken daily using the Daily Digital Feelings Check-In Form
- Specialty Classes are part of your child’s weekly schedule and mandate
- Students are expected to follow teacher directions and display appropriate behavior
- Your child is required to participate in the instruction that the teacher is providing for each subject area and specialty class
- Communicate, communicate, communicate and keep in touch with your child’s teachers including specialty teacher teams about any questions/issues you may have
|Time||Week 9 Daily Remote Learning Student Schedule|
|8:50- 9:00||Students log on to Google Classroom for classroom instructions|
Wednesdayis Tribes Dayduring period 4&5
|Remote Learning Daily Instruction Students will participate in lessons and activities prepared by the teachers following their regular daily schedule:During prep periods, students will be directed to join the specialty class of the day. Period 1: 9:00-9:25Period 2: 9:25-9:50Period 3: 9:50-10:15Period 4: 10:15-10:40 (All students in K-2 Break Time) Wed. Tribes DayPeriod 5: 10:40-11:05 (All students 3-5 Break Time) Wed. Tribes DayPeriod 6: 11:05- 11:30Period 7: 11:30-11:55Period 8: 11:55- 12:20|
|Student Lunch Time |
Student: Daily Independent Work Time. Students will complete the following: 1. Independent Reading & task of the day2. Writing- task of the day3. Math- task of the day4. Specialty- 1 specialty task per day as per the daily flow of the day
Parent/Student Communication Time for parents & teachers to communicate. Parent-Teacher Conferences: Tuesday, May 12 – Friday, May 22, 2020