Kindly read this letter in its entirety since it contains important updates as well as helpful reminders.
“A change is gonna come….yes it will…” -Lyrics by Sam Cooke-1963
Friday, June 5, 2020
Dear TAOTS Families,
The weeks are rapidly passing us by as we continue to face and deal with turbulent times. At this point we conclude Week 11 of remote learning and move into Week 12, and we continue to reflect on our own values and beliefs about the people and world around us. As we move forward, we promise our students that we will continue to follow our Tribes Agreements and together create a peaceful society that is anti-racist and that is respectful of one another. We know that the current acts of violence and destruction are causing communities of innocent people and their loved ones to suffer. As a result, people’s fears and wounds are only deepening. However, I assure you that we will remain united, always doing what is best for our students, families and our community at large. Our team here at TAOTS can’t thank you enough for your continued support and collaboration as we get through these difficult times. I am hopeful for brighter days and believing that “…change is gonna come…yes it will.”
There will be SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS on Tuesday, June 9th. Students Are Expected To Log In On and complete independent assignments Tuesday, June 9, 2020.
Below you will find our school’s June events, an updated remote leaning grading policy and additional important school information and updates.
Our team here at TAOTS have been planning & preparing for the following events :
- Tuesday, June 9, 2020 – Teacher/Staff Clerical Day- (students in attendance & work on independent teacher assigned work)
- Monday, June 15, 2020 – 100% Attendance Certificates (emailed home)
- Monday, June 15, 2020 – 6pm Relay for Life Virtual Luminaries Bags Ceremony https://secure.acsevents.org/site/SPageServer?pagename=relay_luminaria&PROXY_TYPE=21&PROXY_ID=96902&fr_id=96902&search=event
- Wednesday, June 17, 2020 – 5pm Incoming Intensive Kindergarten Orientation
& 6pm Incoming Kindergarten Orientation
- Friday, June 19, 2020 – 6pm Relay for Life Virtual Ceremony https://secure.acsevents.org/site/STR?pg=entry&fr_id=96902
- Tuesday, June 23, 2020 – 10am Kindergarten Virtual Stepping Up Ceremony
- Wednesday, June 24, 2020 – 10am 5th Grade Virtual Graduation Ceremony
- Friday, June 26, 2020 – Last Day of School
- Week of June 29, 2020 – Report Cards posted virtually on your NYCSA
Updates & Reminders:
From Parent Coordinator, Ms. Appelbaum & Community Coordinator, Mr. DeFeo email@example.com
UPDATES & Important Resources:
- Register for your NYCSA – NYC Schools Account : REPORT CARDS WILL BE POSTED ON YOUR NYCSA. Please reach out to Ms. Melissa Appelbaum to register or reset your NYCSA. NYCSA allows parents and guardians to access their child’s past and present, grades , assessments, and attendance.
- Please Complete Your Census : https://www1.nyc.gov/site/census/resources/resources.page The Census is Important – A complete count, ensures our city gets its fair share of $650 billion in federal funding for Title I programs, Head Start, special education, bilingual education, classroom technology, teacher training, preschool and after-school programs, and school lunch assistance services. A full census count also ensures our communities receive enough elected officials to represent and protect our interests. The census needs to count people of all ages, including visitors, foster children, and people not born in the US. No matter what your household looks like, please make sure to count everybody.
- Library Resources: This resource is available seven days a week, from 2:00–11:00 p.m., and provides support to all grade levels in the following areas:
- Homework Help: Interact with live tutors in math, science, reading/writing, social studies, PSAT/SAT, ACT, AP and state standardized tests.
- Skills-Building: Choose your topic to receive real-time help.
- Personalized eLearning Tools: My File Sharing, My Session Replay, My Tutoring Archive, My Tests Archive, and more.
- 24-Hour Writing Lab: Submit essays and other kinds of writing for constructive feedback.
- Homework Questions: Submit homework questions for expert guidance.
- Adult Learning Center: Access a library of rich, adult-learning content (GED), and live, professional assistance in resume/cover letter writing, U.S. citizenship prep, MS Office Essential Skills series, and more.
- To access Brainfuse, New York State residents must sign up for a free library card in one of the three library systems. See below for information about how school communities in all five boroughs can obtain library cards at any of the three public library systems: Brooklyn Public Library: To obtain a Brooklyn Public Library eCard, fill out this form. Families and students may access Brainfuse using their Brooklyn Public Library eCard. For questions, please contact Brooklyn Public Library.
- Dial a Teacher Available for Grades K-5 The UFT has re-opened its Dial-A-Teacher program, a homework help line for students, run by classroom teachers. This resource is available from 4:00–7:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday, for students in grades K–5. Due to limitations caused by school building closures, the help line is currently only available for ELA and math homework from teachers speaking English. The UFT is hoping to expand to other subjects, grades, and languages soon. Please share this optional resource with your school community.
- SAVE THE DATE: June 10, 2020 7 PM to 9 PM Please join us for a District 20 Virtual Town Hall Meeting to Hear Parent Voices and Concerns about remote learning and the upcoming 2020-21 School Year.You can access the meeting here: https://nyc-schools.webex.com/nyc-schools/onstage/g.php?MTID=e3c48a854d2479d67afa014c88e53cb7d Any parent of a child enrolled in a District 20 school may sign up to speak for up to two (2) minutes. CEC members will each choose one parent to speak followed by an open forum. Here is the sign up link:https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd6RXVzpspH4Ezj_4EveP-mQK5mv-eYZIEkKo72To7Z4Bl2UA/viewform?fbclid=IwAR0KisRZaXMxs1sMp7NEBXCVk9pqIzhio8vR1bfN6csOGBF4tsZMzxLNNlo
- Continue to report your child’s absences by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Wednesday, June 10th, Tribes Classroom Activity: Wear Purple today to show your a good citizen.
- Are you having trouble coping due to COVID-19? Trained counselors can provide you with support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, in over 200 languages.
TEXT: “Well” to 65173
VISIT ON THE WEB: nyc.gov/nycwell
- Google Classroom Tutorial for Students in All Languages: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLON_Ndz-asFTvNS3ODimsVtFom_nywSJR&app=desktop
- For more resources and information regarding family support such as: Health Care Providers for COVID – 19 Testing – Anyone who does not have a health care provider can call 844-NYC-4NYC (844-692-4692) or 311 to discuss COVID-19 symptoms and receive medical advice and assistance, For and updated list of community testing sites and more info: http://www.nyc.gov/covidtestingsites
- Check the TAOTS website www.taots.org regularly for updates and all TAOTS information in All Languages!
- 1st Day School Supplies Online Store has opened up. Kindly visit www.1stDaySchoolSupplies.com. The deadline to purchase supplies is July 1, 2020. This link is also available on our website www.taots.org. Please reach out to email@example.com for assistance.
- Recess at Home with Playworks. You can log on from Monday to Friday at; 12 PM, 2 PM, and 4 PM to join in a Live Virtual Recess. Students will get to play and learn games in a virtual environment with a Live Playworks Coach. Click on the link for more information. Live Virtual Recess.
Remote Learning Student & Family Expectations:
We expect students to participate and interact daily with the teaching and learning that is taking place in our Google Classrooms. Please review with your child the student and family expectations for remote learning.
- Instruction begins daily at 8:50 am by logging into Google Classrooms for all students
- Students follow their regular school day schedule with shorter periods
- Student Attendance will be taken daily using the Daily Digital Feelings Check-In Form
- Specialty Classes are part of your child’s weekly schedule and mandate
- Students are expected to follow teacher directions and display appropriate behavior
- Your child is required to participate in the instruction that the teacher is providing for each subject area and specialty class
- Communicate, communicate, communicate and keep in touch with your child’s teachers including specialty teacher teams about any questions/issues you may have