Kindly read this letter in its entirety since it contains important updates as well as helpful reminders.
Dear TAOTS Families, Friday, May 22, 2020
As we say “goodbye” to week 9 and “hello” to Week 10, I want to wish all of our families a Happy Memorial Day. School will be closed on Monday, May 25, 2020 for observance of Memorial Day. School will resume on Tuesday, May 26, 2020. I hope that you enjoy the long weekend with your families. Also, I hope that you were able to meet with your child’s teachers for Parent Teacher Conferences to discuss your child’s progress. If you did not get a chance to communicate with your child’s teacher, simply reach out and set up an appointment.
Daily parent communication is built into our school’s remote learning schedule. It is imperative that you communicate and keep us up to date with any issues that your child is experiencing with remote instruction and remote student learning. I assure that we are working together as a team to support your child(ren) throughout the process of remote learning.
It was recently brought to my attention that some families are having some technical issues with our Specialty Google Classrooms. If this is happening, I ask that you immediately email firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. The sooner we know about it, the sooner we can resolve any issues you are experiencing. As stated in previous family correspondence, Specialty classes at TAOTS include music, art, science lab, technology, and gym and are a required part of our students’ instructional day. Specialty classes follow mandatory state learning standards and meet the requirements for promotion. Each specialty class has a licensed special education co teacher to assist in making the curriculum accessible and equitable for all students. We encourage you to reach out to them if your child is experiencing difficulty participating.
This week Chancellor Caranza announced that the DOE will be offering a summer academic program for students that have been given a final grade on their report card of Needs Improvement. These students will be required or recommended to attend summer school. The program will start and will run from Monday, July 6 – Tuesday, August 11. Remote Learning Summer School will ensure that our students can continue to engage and receive the academic support they need to be ready to return to school in the fall.
We are still awaiting information regarding ASD Nest summer program and what that will entail. Details will be provided as soon as we get them from the ASD Nest DOE.
Updates & Reminders:
From Parent Coordinator, Ms. Appelbaum
Community Coordinator, Mr. DeFeo
- PLEASE JOIN: TAOTS General PTO Meeting will be hosted on Wednesday, May 27, 2020 at 6pm The meeting will be hosted on Zoom.
Meeting ID: 246 433 1671 Password: TAOTSPTO
- This week’s TRIBES CLASSROOM Activity will be Patriotic Day. Wear something RED, WHITE and BLUE on Wednesday, May 27th to honor and celebrate everyone who serves and protects our country.
- Continue to report your child’s absences by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Are you having trouble coping due to COVID-19? Trained counselors can provide you with support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, in over 200 languages.
TEXT: “Well” to 65173
VISIT ON THE WEB: nyc.gov/nycwell
- Google Classroom Tutorial for Students in All Languages: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLON_Ndz-asFTvNS3ODimsVtFom_nywSJR&app=desktop
- For more resources and information regarding family support such as: Health Care Providers for COVID – 19 Testing – Anyone who does not have a health care provider can call 844-NYC-4NYC (844-692-4692) or 311 to discuss COVID-19 symptoms and receive medical advice and assistance, For and updated list of community testing sites and more info: http://www.nyc.gov/covidtestingsites
- Visit the Department of Education’s free meal location finder website or call 311. You can also text FOOD to 877-877.
- Check the TAOTS website www.taots.org regularly for updates and all TAOTS information in All Languages!
- 1st Day School Supplies Online Store has opened up. Kindly visit www.1stDaySchoolSupplies.com. The deadline to purchase supplies is July 1, 2020. This link is also available on our website www.taots.org. Please reach out to email@example.com for assistance.
- Recess at Home with Playworks. You can log on from Monday to Friday at; 12 PM, 2 PM, and 4 PM to join in a Live Virtual Recess. Students will get to play and learn games in a virtual environment with a Live Playworks Coach. Click on the link for more information. Live Virtual Recess.
Remote Learning Student & Family Expectations:
We expect students to participate and interact daily with the teaching and learning that is taking place in our Google Classrooms. Please review with your child the student and family expectations for remote learning.
- Instruction begins daily at 8:50 am by logging into Google Classrooms for all students
- Students follow their regular school day schedule with shorter periods
- Student Attendance will be taken daily using the Daily Digital Feelings Check-In Form
- Specialty Classes are part of your child’s weekly schedule and mandate
- Students are expected to follow teacher directions and display appropriate behavior
- Your child is required to participate in the instruction that the teacher is providing for each subject area and specialty class
- Communicate, communicate, communicate and keep in touch with your child’s teachers including specialty teacher teams about any questions/issues you may have
|Time||Week 10 Daily Remote Learning Student Schedule|
|8:50- 9:00||Students log on to Google Classroom for classroom instructions|
Wednesdayis Tribes Dayduring period 4&5
|Remote Learning Daily Instruction Students will participate in lessons and activities prepared by the teachers following their regular daily schedule:During prep periods, students will be directed to join the specialty class of the day. Period 1: 9:00-9:25Period 2: 9:25-9:50Period 3: 9:50-10:15Period 4: 10:15-10:40 (All students in K-2 Break Time) Wed. Tribes DayPeriod 5: 10:40-11:05 (All students 3-5 Break Time) Wed. Tribes DayPeriod 6: 11:05- 11:30Period 7: 11:30-11:55Period 8: 11:55- 12:20|
|Student Lunch Time |
Student: Daily Independent Work Time. Students will complete the following: 1. Independent Reading & task of the day2. Writing- task of the day3. Math- task of the day4. Specialty- 1 specialty task per day as per the daily flow of the day
Parent/Student Communication Time for parents & teachers to communicate.